Okay whats is the difference between ShugenDo and the ShugenDoEngine? And whats the point about it anyways? What you have seen in the past was ShugenDo. ShugenDo is the beat’em up engine which allows you to create characters , levels etc. for a beat’em up game. ShugenDo was a clone project of M.U.G.E.N in the past. After years of development I decided to stop the way of development of ShugenDo. You can read more about the reasons on my previous post.
After I decided to recreate ShugenDo I also decided to create the ShugenDoEngine. The ShugenDoEngine is the engine which will power up ShugenDo. After all my experiences I got when developing ShugenDo in the past I decided to create a general purpose engine which I can use to create ShugenDo. So why not using an existing engine to develop ShugenDo? I did a lot of research before I began the development of ShugenDo. All the engines which I could offer was not satisfying me. In the past I used SDL to create ShugenDo, but SDL is a low level library to manage input and output in a cross platform manner. Even SDL was not satisfying me for its purpose. After all that research I decided to create a general purpose cross platform engine which abstracts the basic input/output layer and which includes support for high level daily use task in game development.
So before the development of ShugenDo could start I had to create the ShugenDoEngine. The creation of the ShugenDoEngine took its time but all that effort was worth it. The ShugenDoEngine will provide you incredible ways in creating your content. It is amazing how fast and good you can develop content for it. The ShugenDoEngine was developed with ShugenDo in mind. To make ShugenDo great the ShugenDoEngine has to be great and I am proud to say that the ShugenDoEngine is amazing. I had the opportunity to work with a very talented friend of mine on the ShugenDoEngine for about 1.5 Years.
So here a list on what you can expect form ShugenDo thanks to the ShugenDoEngine.
- ShugenDo will be cross platform compatible. For now Windows, Linux and Android.
- ShugenDo support 3D sound and the playback of OGG music files.
- ShugenDo support the playback of OGV Video files. They are in 24 Bit true color and will be streamed form you HD without hurting your RAM. So no more packing videos in SFF files and the lose of color.You can integrate those videos anywhere you want. You can use them in cut scenes, as background elements in a level or in menus.
- ShugenDo uses C# for its scripting. C# is one of the best programming language which I can imaging to create gaming content. Unity 3D is also using C#. Look at the great games which where made with it. I will post about the scripting engine in the next post. So you can better understand why its so cool and why it will shorten your development time.
- ShugenDo uses fully hardware accelerated rendering on all platforms. This means you can play your HD content at full 60 FPS with out bothering you system to much. Also first time it is possible to create mixed 2D/3D scenes like seen in Marvel vs Capcom, Blazeblue or Strider 2.
- ShugenDo will be online playable.
- ShugenDo enables shader based rendering. You can write you own rendering shaders to create the visual style you want.
- A what you see is what you get editor will be developed to improve development speed.
- You can change your files and ShugenDo will reload them on the fly. So you can make changes and you will see them without restarting ShugenDo. I will blog about that feature.
- ShugenDo uses a game component object model which the modern approach on creating games.
- The ShugenDoEngine has a very rich library which you can use for you daily work task. You need a way to move a object on a defined Bézier curve? Define your checkpoints and let your object move. Just simple as that. You do not have to code the implementation of a Bézier curve interpolator.
In the next post I will show some showcase so you can see how the feature will effect you workflow.